Monday, December 13, 2010

Abbey stayed in hospital for one week and we all got to learn what we had to do to keep her alive....
Her pancreas had basically died - I thought all those sort of things only happen with old age, not to a healthy 9 year old.
On admittance she was very ill, she had ketoacidosis and they had to come and check her on the hour,every hour.
One thing I will always .... remember that made me realise what I really had to deal with was :- On the fourth day in hospital, I asked the nurse if I could take Abbey down to the cafe on the 4th floor, as I was about to go she say's...Havn't you forgotten something like Abbeys hypo kit...'well I was only going down to the next floor ' and the nurse say's "what if the elevator fails and Abbey has a low ...
WOW just got to learn that we can never go anywhere without her hypo kit.
I must admit by the 5th day I was thinking that there was no way I would feel safe enough to take Abbey home...what if something happened.
It's amazing though how a parent can suddenly gain inner strength  because on the 7th day I was well and truley ready to go home.
Our hospital stay was very pleasant considering the circumstances and all the doctors and nurses were so wonderful ...thanks Princess Margaret Hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment